ACC Scheduling Brilliance

Home Forums All StateFansNation ACC Scheduling Brilliance

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    LRM
    Keymaster

In a college sports universe where TV revenue is really all that matters, the brilliant minds in the ACC league offices created a scheduling conflict that will pull regional eyes off two separate national broadcasts — the ACC scheduled its first 2014-15 conference basketball game during the 2014 ACC Championship Game.

State hosts Wake Forest Saturday, 7:30pm (ESPNU). Meanwhile, Georgia Tech plays Florida State for the ACC Championship at 8pm (ABC).

Wulfpack
    Participant

ESPN controls the ACC Championship game time. Not sure who controls the start time to the basketball game.

LRM
    Keymaster

ESPN controls all the TV. But the ACC controls the date it’s scheduled. Why not schedule it Sunday instead — avoid the conflict altogether?

Wulfpack
    Participant

The ACC does not control the day the championship game is scheduled – that is ESPN. The basketball game, I have no idea.

LRM
    Keymaster

The ACC controls the date of the basketball game — that’s the point.

In basketball, all game times are determined before the season — it’s not like football, where there are weekly options. And the ACC determines the schedule. The ACCCG has been at 8pm for at least the last 6-7 years, so they had to have known they were creating a potential conflict.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I’d rather compete with Florida State murdering the Bees than the NFL.

Realistically, the hoops contest should have been on a Friday if wanted to showcase it.

JaxPackMan
    Participant

Regarding the poll question about scheduling UNCheat – My preference would be to have State’s games with Clemson, Wake, and UNCheat be on the same week of the schedule year after year. I think the conference should do more to promote the traditions of each rivalry to point out the unique qualities of each. For example:
    1) Clemson – Known as the Textile Bowl – Highlighting the two major schools in the South that have Textile Schools. Play in late September.
    2) Wake – Played continuously since 1910 (longest streak in ACC), series began in 1896. There are many rivalries whose first game was earlier, but none with a longer streak. Play in late October.
    3) UNCheat – Another old rival, having played since 1894. Lot of hate going both ways. Heels claim State isn’t a rivalry game for them, pointing to their Duke game. Certainly in B-Ball State has not been much competition since Valvano. Football W’s and L’s are pretty even over the last several years. I would play them in November, but not make it the last game.
    This breaks the schedule up so that there is at least 3 big games to point to.

JaxPackMan
    NCSU class of '76
    Jacksonville, FL

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.